Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Artists Need Vacation Too

View of an Oak tree and vines

Admittedly, I am very lucky to be able to do what I love, which is not only painting shelter animals, but helping to get them adopted as well. Sometimes though, it seems like I'm burning the candle at both ends, and I need to take a little vacation. And, that's exactly what I did this past weekend and thought I'd share.

Last Thursday, Buff and I headed off to a place that holds a sentimental place in our hearts - Napa and Sonoma Valley. We lived there for a few years, and each time I visit, it reminds me of the days that I spent with my best furry buddy Rufus.

We met up with friends from the opposite coast to relax, sight see, and of course do some wine tasting! The temperature was perfect and the sights of nature could not have been better - vibrant yellows, greens, and blues...you know how much I like vibrant color...were everywhere! The valleys were in the midst of mustard season, creating vivacious yellow fields wherever we went. I'm not sure what it is about the atmosphere in that particular region of the country, but it reminds me of the unique lighting that inspired Matisse in the South of France. It was the perfect setting to taste wonderful food paired with amazing wines, and sample olive oils as well. Buff and I could not have asked for a better vacation.

Buff and I sampling wines

Upon returning from the trip, Buff and I were left feeling an incredible sense of rejuvenation and joy. Unfortunately, today we heard the news that a dear friend, and the man who awarded me the title of Artist-in-Residence for The Humane Society of the United States passed away from cancer. With heavy hearts, we are reminded of just how blessed we continue to be, and have a renewed sense of thankfulness for our health and our opportunities to make memories with good friends like we did this weekend. It makes one appreciate the simple things in life, like a wet doggy kiss, a warm embrace, or the full bodied aroma in a glass of Sequoia Grove Malbec (my favorite wine of the trip).

Charlie and Linda with Buff and I at The Estate Restaurant

For more pics you can check out my Facebook album at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=152263&l=0874a9cf04&id=1663877814

1 comment:

  1. That was definitely a well-deserved vacation!! Sounds like you and Buff had a lovely and relaxing trip :-)

    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete